The Platform for Interdisciplinary Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology Austria was founded in 2017. It is committed to
- creating awareness for the special requirements in this medical field;
- establishing a well-founded education and training program in the field of pediatric and adolescent gynecology in Austria;
- achieving an Austria-wide medical care in this specialism field. Thus, clarification in cases of suspected sexual violence should henceforth also be possible throughout Austria;
- introducing the specialism to
– doctors as well as institutions and professional groups working with children and adolescents,
– parents and adolescents
to make it known to parents and adolescents;
- promoting interdisciplinary cooperation between pediatricians and gynecologists and experts in related fields such as pediatric urology, pediatric cardiology, pediatric surgery, pediatric psychology and psychiatry;
- intensifying an international professional exchange;
- initiating as an important preventive measure the inclusion of a gynecological screening before the age of 4 years in the mother-child-passport
Why is pediatric and adolescent gynecology needed?
Pediatric and adolescent gynecology is still a young specialism. It creates a link between pediatrics and gynecology – and is designed to provide optimal gynecologic care to girls from birth, through adolescence, up to the time they turn 18.
Each stage of a girl’s development brings specific physical changes and issues. Depending on their age, complaints in the genital area such as itching can have completely different causes. Gynecological diseases manifest themselves and progress differently in girls than in adult women – therapies must be tailored accordingly. The gynecological examination, clarification and treatment of girls therefore requires its own well-founded training for both gynecologists and pediatricians.